Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Biggest Wildcat I Ever Saw!



By Mike Faulk

Seeing a bobcat during daylight hours has been the rarest of sights during my fifty plus years in the woods. Two times before Sunday afternoon have I ever seen these feline predators. During each prior sighting the cat was on the move and I barely got a peak at the animal.

My hunting buddies have seen a few on Strum Island - especially so in the last two or three years. While I'm no biologist, I suspect the resurgence of wild turkey as a good food source has something to do with the increasing incidence of sightings.

Sunday was different.

When first spotted, I thought a coyote was eastbound along the river's edge headed into the sluice. I marveled at the beauty of this coyote's coat as the afternoon sun reflected brightly off its fur. That observation was odd in that all coyote I ever saw were a bit mangy looking.

As the cat drew near, it's movements told me it was no coyote. Stop and stalk was it's method of operation.

I had time to get the camera but the automatic focus just couldn't keep up with the cat as it prowled along the bank. The two pictures I took were at 75 and 60 yards. By estimation, I'd say this kitty exceeded 30 and may have been approaching 40 pounds.

Not a minute after it left my field of vision, we heard a mad scramble in the dried leaves and turkeys clucking wildly. I'm guessing puddy cat had his Thanksgiving turkey a few days early!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites